Matthew Arnold School
About the school
Our school ethos is encapsulated in the phrase “Success for everyone.”
Our school aims
- We are committed to creating a school in which everyone in the school feels secure and valued, enabling us to fulfil our high expectations of success and achievement.
- We aim to enable every student in the school to succeed and to develop their academic, social, physical and personal potential in a safe, happy and supportive learning environment.
- We are committed to ensuring that every student will have developed the essential skills, independence, knowledge and understanding to prepare them for life and work in the 21st Century.
- We encourage an enthusiasm for learning, supported by the skills for learning, which will form the foundation for lifelong learning.
- We provide opportunities for students to develop a sense of responsibility for themselves, their community, and to society as a whole.
Underpinning the school aims are a set of values that we aim to nurture within our school community. We believe that as a community we need to share our values, to give every individual a sense of security and belonging. Our values are:
- Respect and consideration for others
- Everyone in the school community valued as an individual
- Fostering relationships based on honesty and trust
- Developing a sense of self and the ability to express oneself with confidence
- Resilience and a desire to learn
- Independence and creativity
Achieving our aim
In order to achieve our aim of success for everyone, we will use evidence from data (e.g. examination results, progress data on individual students) and feedback from the school community including staff, parents, students and governors to identify the priorities for improvement each year. The annual School Improvement Plan based on the agreed priorities will provide the framework for continual improvement in striving to achieve our aims.