About the school
About Thamesmead School
Our History & Ethos
Thamesmead School is a stand alone secondary academy school for students aged 11- 16 and is located in Shepperton, Surrey. As a heavily over-subscribed school (well over 700 applications for our 210 places in year 7 this year) most of our students come from our local community and we value to place within it. Our school vision is centered on four cornerstones that we strive to achieve. They are;
· Committed to excellence
· Nurturing individuals
· Respecting our community
· Fulfilling potential
These encapsulate our desire to be a school that achieves academic success alongside personal growth and development.
Our students arrive with prior attainment above the national average and leave us having made more progress than expected. If you look at our results over the last few years, you’ll see our year on year trend for sustained improvement and aim to continue this. We are not complacent and every year closely analyse our results and identify how we can continue to improve the quality of education for our students further.
We are based in the vibrant community of Shepperton Village, a short walk from the rail station which offers direct links to Kingston, Wimbledon, Clapham Junction and Waterloo in under 55 minutes. We also have good road links to both the M3 and M25. Heathrow airport is a 20 minute drive. Our staff, students and PTA can be found enjoying themselves and performing at the Summer Fair and the not to be missed ‘Big Tree Night’, to name but two of the events that combine to make the village much more than the location of a famous film studio! Shepperton was also voted the politest town in the UK in 2017, a quality we hope you will recognise in our students too.
We are able to offer a purpose built school, with a large green site. Our school design features a range of unique learning spaces including an outdoor performing arts area, well-equipped specialist classrooms, dedicated student support spaces as well as a number of computer suites.
We also have an onsite gym in association with Fresh Gym who are able to offer access to staff at certain times and subsidised membership to their wider facilities.
Your Professional Development
At Thamesmead we provide a comprehensive programme of continuing professional development, with the focus very much on developing staff’s individual pedagogical practice and career aspirations.
We recognise that, just like our students, we too are life-long learners and we know that the most effective learning for teachers happens when they are given opportunities to reflect on, share and improve their practice. There are many opportunities for teachers at Thamesmead to do this, for example:
· The school hosts regular in house ‘teachmeets’ for you to share with, and gain from, your peers.
· Our INSETs have a dual focus; moving the school’s development plan forward whilst being targeted at the needs and requests of individual teachers. Indeed we ensure much of our INSET time is ‘self-set’ which ensures that teachers make active decisions in regards to how they develop themselves. In addition, there are regular opportunities for teaching staff to deliver INSET sessions as part of their professional development, meaning everyone can contribute. An example of CPD pathways available this year include Middle Leadership Developmentand Coaching.
· Curriculum workshops, which are led by our curriculum leaders and/or subject specialists, are held regularly throughout the year to focus on the developmental needs of each curriculum area, such as subject specific professional knowledge and pedagogy.
– To support the CPD provision in school, we place particular importance on providing online CPD, to which end we subscribe to online portals with hundreds of webinars and courses available to watch independently, ranging from classroom practice, pastoral care and SEND provision to leadership development. We actively encourage staff to collaborate with colleagues in other schools to further their development through partnership.
· We believe in promoting leadership at all levels: As well as developing your teaching skills, we want to ensure that you are ready for leadership opportunities when they present themselves. Therefore the school is an advocate of building leadership capacity at all levels. This is done in a variety of ways including ensuring a range of leadership opportunities within the school structure appropriate to each career stage, and the chance to apply for bursaries to apply for leadership projects. It is very common for our new staff to have moved into a leadership role within two years of joining us. Moreover, every year all staff have the opportunity to participate in our school led Middle Leadership Development Programme while established middle leaders may apply for the National Professional Qualification for Senior Leadership (NPQSL). Similarly, the school may offer financial support towards the cost of undertaking an educational Masters degrees.
· Our NQT programme is extensive and next year’s NQTs will be fully supported by the Early Career Framework. There are regular opportunities built in for NQTs to get the support and developmental opportunities they require. As well as a lead NQT trainer, the school also provides every individual with a subject mentor and an in-school assessor. The added benefit for our NQTs is that we are an accredited SCITT provider, and also work with a number of PGCE partners, thus there is access to continued high quality training and collaboration with colleagues. Moreover we work very closely with a number of external trainers and a dedicated SEND school to ensure that all elements of teaching can be covered in a supportive and effective way.
Benefits of joining Thamesmead School
- Onsite gym with subsidised membership
- Staff wellbeing group
- Career progression opportunities
- A thriving house system
- An annual wellbeing long weekend in the Autumn Term
- New staff induction programme
- A supportive and happy community
What do our staff have to say about working at Thamesmead School?
“Thamesmead has really supported me in the time I have been here, providing opportunities to develop as a teacher and also a person too. Once I joined Thamesmead, I felt part of the ‘family’ straight away, this is down to the collective approach and togetherness shown by all staff, across the school, every single day. The support from leaders for me to develop and thrive is brilliant.” – Middle Leader
“I have had a brilliant first 2 terms teaching at Thamesmead and this is in no small part down to the calm and welcoming atmosphere of the school and the warm and supportive attitude of my department.” NQT
“I have been in the fortunate position to train and work alongside experienced, motivated and caring staff at Thamesmead. Thamesmead school is a community in which a trainee teacher can only thrive in, the knowledge and skills I have learnt from my time at Thamesmead gives me confidence in my future role as a teacher.” PGCE Student
“Thamesmead is a community which I have loved being a part of. The school pushes you to become a better version of yourself, it has challenged me at times, but I know I have made the right decision of becoming a teacher. All thanks to Thamesmead SCITT”
If you would like further information on our current vacancies, the school or any other questions, please contact Human Resources on firstname.lastname@example.org Please note that we follow safer recruitment practices and appointments are subject to a satisfactory enhanced DBS.