Fixed term • One year
Wellington College is one of the world’s leading co-educational boarding and day schools located in rural Berkshire set in a stunning 400 acre campus, home to a blend of breathtaking original architecture and modern state-of-the-art facilities to provide the best possible education environment for our pupils.
Our Classics Department are currently looking for an enthusiastic, highly motivated and dedicated Classics Teacher (fixed term for 1 year) with a love of education to join the team to encourage all students to make progress in this subject no matter their ability.
Dedication, hard work and passion will see you go far at Wellington College, we value and support our staff and you'll have the chance to develop your skills with career progression opportunities.
You will join on a full time, maternity cover basis and in return as well as an attractive salary and an excellent opportunity to further develop, we offer contribution to the Teacher’s Pension Scheme, a generous health scheme including an Employee Assistance Programme, private medical insurance, a cycle to work scheme, discounted staff membership to the Fitness Club, a free lunch whilst on duty, free parking and school fee reduction (where applicable).
Key responsibilities (Please see Job Description for full requirements):
In addition to the general duties of a teacher at Wellington, the post holder is expected to:
- Be willing to teach across the full age range from year 9 to year 13.
- Enhance the quality of teaching and learning in the Department and wider College through sharing resources and good practice, lesson observation, collaborative teaching, mentoring and active participation in continuing professional development.
- Teach a standard timetable allocation (currently 36 lessons of 55 minutes in a twelve-day timetable cycle).
- Play a role in the extra-curricular life of the Department, including contributing to off-timetable workshops, extension programs, pre-university seminars, competitions, etc.
- Make a positive contribution to the efficient running of the Department, including, setting and marking examinations, attending departmental meetings and undertaking administrative and other tasks as delegated by the Head of Department.
What we are looking for:
- Good level degree in this subject or another directly related subject or a suitable Post Graduate qualification.
- 3 A-Levels, IB or equivalent.
- Thorough knowledge of the material covered in the Curriculum of this subject.
- Recognised teaching qualification, such as a PGCE, or equivalent experience.
- Teaching experience at A/IB level.
- Awareness of Safeguarding requirements and good practice within a boarding school setting.
- Involvement in extra-curricular activities (professional, amateur or voluntary).
If you think you’ve got what it takes and would like to join our team, please apply now.
Closing date: 3rd December 2023
Wellington College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Applicants will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
The post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and the School is therefore permitted to ask job applicants to declare all convictions and cautions (including those which are "spent" unless they are "protected" under the DBS filtering rules) in order to assess their suitability to work with children.
All applicants must have a valid right to work in the UK and must be able to produce supporting documents.