37 per week • Monday - Friday • Term time only
We are seeking to appoint an enthusiastic and efficient Design and Technology Technical Support Assistant to work in support of the Technology department, specifically within the Resistant Materials subject area.
Product Design at Little Heath is a vibrant, fast-paced, creative subject within a growing Design Technology department.
We are housed in new purpose-built workshops with a broad range of specialist equipment for manufacturing prototypes in all material areas. This includes timber, metals, plastics and CAD/CAM CNC machinery. We have an IT suite equipped with Fusion 360 3D digital modelling software and a laser cutter.
We are popular with students from a broad range of abilities and interests, with additional support required for engaging our SEN students as well challenging our most able.
In order to make the most of these fantastic opportunities we require a technician to support the department in the following:
- Take an active interest in student projects, supporting students in translating their ideas into manufactured prototypes and actual products accessing all material areas.
- Be involved in lessons, work with students 1:1, in small groups and be willing to engage in demonstrating equipment to classes and mentoring individuals.
- An aptitude for practical work with some experience in using workshop tools and equipment to make products.
- An interest in digital design and computer aided manufacturing, experience desired but not essential as full training can be given.
- An understanding of the vital role health and safety plays in the workshops, and taking responsibility for monitoring and maintaining tools, machinery and the rooms. (Full training available).
- Able to organise and prepare materials, resources and rooms in an efficient and timely manner. Including monitoring and ordering stock materials, liaising with HOD and teaching staff as appropriate and in line with the planned schemes of work.
- A strong ability to communicate effectively, prioritise tasks and deliver what is required in a fast paced and busy environment.
- A good team player, an active interest in the welfare and development of students.
Little Heath School is a highly successful comprehensive school (1658 on roll, including 366 in the Sixth Form) situated in a pleasant semi-rural setting to the west of Reading, with good access to road and rail links. The school has recently benefited from a significant and transformational building project, opening a new £15 million main block in spring 2021.
As a school, we pride ourselves on our Continuing Professional Development Programme, which supports teachers to continually improve their practice in innovative ways, collaborating with other members of staff.
For an application form and information pack please email Recruitment. Please address supporting letter of application to the Headteacher.
Closing date: Monday 15 August 2022
We reserve the right to interview before this date if a suitable shortlist is obtained, so early application is encouraged.
Little Heath School is committed to safeguarding children and promoting the welfare of children and young people; we expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Little Heath School will ensure that all recruitment and selection practices reflect this commitment. All shortlisted candidates will be asked to complete a criminal records self-disclosure form and successful candidates will be subject to Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks along with other relevant employment checks.