Leigh Academy Blackheath (LAB) is a co-educational 11-19 Outstanding comprehensive school, located in Blackheath, Royal Borough of Greenwich. LAB is also an International Baccalaureate World School, delivering the highly regarded Middle Years Programme at KS3, and will open its new P16 provision - LAB16, in September 2023.
‘Pupils behave exceptionally well. Classrooms are calm places where pupils can focus on their learning’ - OFSTED December 2022
We believe that every learner is entitled to an enriching, varied and personalised education; delivered through a broad and balanced curriculum that provides challenge, irrespective of need, starting point or background. If you are as passionate about achieving this as we are, and have the drive and determination to ensure all students realise their full potential, we invite you to join our team.
‘Staff are proud to work at this school where everyone’s contribution is valued’ - OFSTED December 2022.
‘Leaders provide excellent development opportunities for all staff. They are conscious of staff workload and well-being’ - OFSTED December 2022
We have a fantastic opportunity for a Female* Teacher of PE to join our collaborative department from September 2023. We are looking for an exceptional teacher who can deliver high-quality learning opportunities. There would also be an opportunity for the successful candidate to apply internally for a Key Stage 3 Coordinator role.
We believe that every learner is entitled to an enriching, varied and personalised education: delivered through a broad and balanced curriculum that provides challenge, irrespective of need, starting point or background. Our commitment to maximising the potential of every child, teaching them the skills they need to be successful and nurturing a desire to be a lifelong learner, will prepare them for whichever career path they choose to follow.
*For genuine occupational requirement reasons we are looking to appoint a woman only for this post (exemption under the Equality Act 2010 Part 1 Schedule 9).
What we are offering:
- A salary commensurate with the profile of the post and leadership opportunities for the right candidate;
- Bespoke CPD with mentoring and coaching opportunities;
- The opportunity to work in a digital school, where every student has their own chromebook from year 7 and all teachers are Google educator trained;
- The opportunity to work in an academy judged by Ofsted to be Outstanding in all areas (December, 22);
- The opportunity to work in an environment where student behaviour is exemplary and students are respectful and ambitious;
- The chance to develop your knowledge of both GCSE and the International Baccalaureate Post 16 diploma.
- The opportunity to work laterally across a number of Leigh Academies Trust schools to benchmark best practice and to be involved in teaching and learning innovation.
We’d like to hear from candidates who are:
- Able to maintain a positive growth mindset despite challenges they may face;
- Collaborative, able to build strong professional relationships;
- Able to motivate and inspire students and staff to achieve their full potential;
- Energetic and have a can-do attitude;
- Confident and has strong career aspirations;
- Committed to safeguarding and the happiness and wellbeing of everyone at the Academy;
- Prepared to be involved in leading co-curricular activities either within or outside of their teaching subject;
- Confident in delivering lessons with strong knowledge of the PE curriculum;
- Experienced in teaching the IB diploma
- Engaged in evidence-informed pedagogy and relentlessly focused on improving their own practice;
- Passionate about their own personal leadership and subject knowledge.
Working at Leigh Academy Blackheath: We are a co-educational 11-18yr comprehensive school and, already oversubscribed, our new school is a beacon of excellence for secondary education in the Royal Borough of Greenwich. We are driven by the belief that every learner is entitled to an enriching, varied and personalised education; delivered through a broad and balanced curriculum that provides challenge, irrespective of need, starting point or background. Our mission is to ensure all our students develop into powerful citizens of the digital future on both a national and global scale.
Our strong learning community works together and shares the value of collaboration; every member of our academy family works together to achieve success, cultivating a strong sense of belonging. Our belief in ‘human-scale’ education, delivered through a schools-within-schools model, ensures every one of our students is known and valued. Strong pastoral care is at the heart of our academy and we place great importance on building strong partnerships with parents and carers.
Since opening in September 2018, Leigh Academy Blackheath (LAB) has established itself as the local community’s preferred choice for their child’s secondary education. We have received over 1,000 applications for this September’s 180 Year 7 places, with more than 300 first choice preferences. It is an exciting time to be joining our learning community. We were also recently judged by Ofsted to be ‘Outstanding’ in all areas.
At LAB, everything we do is built upon our core values of: Respect, Integrity, Ambition, Scholarship and Resilience. We are a strong team and work hard together to ensure every student realises their full potential. Staff have access to a wide range of professional development opportunities both within the academy and across Leigh Academies Trust (LAT). A flexible approach with a can-do ethos is required, as is drive, grit and boundless enthusiasm. A sense of humour is essential!
Being part of Leigh Academies Trust: As of 1st September 2022, our Trust comprises 30 geographically organised academies (14 secondaries, 14 primaries and 2 special) educating 20,000 students, and employing 3,000 talented staff. The Trust is establishing four ‘clusters’ of academies: North Kent; Central Kent; South East London; Medway. In addition, the Trust is responsible for one of the region’s biggest initial teaching training organisations, a large teaching school hub and is an accredited apprenticeship provider.
As part of Leigh Academies Trust, you will have ample opportunity to collaborate with your peers both within the academy and across the whole Trust. This is an important part of our vision as we know through experience that we perform better when we work together. You are supported to undertake regular self-development to continue your professional development and hopefully progress further within the organisation.
Our commitment to safeguarding: Leigh Academies Trust and all of our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of our pupils, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We adopt a fair, robust and consistent recruitment process across all academies and business units which is inline with Keeping Children Safe in Education guidance. This includes online checks for shortlisted candidates - you can read more about this in our Recruitment Guidance. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, references, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check.
Our commitment to equality and diversity: As a Trust, we are passionate about diversity and recognise that as individuals, we all bring something unique to the role regardless of any protected characteristics which is why we treat all of our people equally, without compromise. We are committed to providing equality and fairness throughout our recruitment and employment practices and not discriminating on any grounds.