King Alfred School (KAS) is a progressive independent school in idyllic grounds in North London. Our independence means that we take a holistic approach to education and value the progress young people make in all areas. Class sizes are small and the environment very supportive for both students and staff.
The King Alfred School is looking for an outgoing, flexible and enthusiastic Pastoral Support Officer to support the smooth running of the pastoral care and provision in the Upper School. We are seeking to appoint an individual who enjoys working with young people and willing to learn about child and adolescent development to inform their practice.
An ability to feel confident about working on a one-to-one and group basis with young people is essential. This is an opportunity that also requires excellent communication and organisational skills.
This would suit a recent Psychology or Education graduate or someone who has studied a related field. You will have the opportunity to research an aspect of pastoral care and design a project to enhance the provision at school for young people.
- Support the development of students, for example, offering some clubs or drop-ins.
- Support attendance procedures for all students in the Upper School.
- Conduct key administrational tasks such as creating and producing reports.
- Have the opportunity to research an aspect of pastoral care and develop a project in relation to your interests and the school’s strategic plan.
- Support with organising key school events.
- Play a full role in the life of the school.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experiences:
- Good honours degree or equivalent is essential.
- Evidence of positive contribution to projects is essential.
- Proven interest and experience of working with children and adolescents and/or parents is desirable.
- An interest in the current challenges that face children and adolescents.
- Excellent IT skills, including Microsoft 365 and Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- A flexible team player who can work well under pressure and in a fast –moving environment.
If you are reflective, hard-working, and keen to grow with our community, then we would very much like to hear from you.
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please visit our website and apply via our online Application Form.
Main terms of employment
- This is a fixed term (two year), full time position during term time only plus four weeks (20 days) to be to be worked flexibly during school holidays across the year.
- Salary: £23,902.00 pa. The full time equivalent of this salary is £25,000.00 pa.
- Normal hours of work are from 8.30 am to 5pm. Some flexibility will be necessary to carry out the job effectively.
Closing date for applications: Midnight, 24 August 2022
We encourage people from all sections of the community to apply and particularly welcome applicants from groups which are currently under-represented in our workforce.
All members of the King Alfred School community are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children.
Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974
All posts involving direct contact with children are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. However, amendments to the Exceptions Order 1975 (2013) provide that certain spent convictions and cautions are ‘protected’. These are not subject to disclosure to employers and cannot be taken into account. Guidance and criteria on the filtering of these cautions and conviction can be found on the Disclosure and Barring Service website or at Unlock.