Part time, 22 hours a week: Monday, Wednesday and Friday: 7.45am to 12.45pm, Saturday: 8am to 3pm
For the right candidate, we may be able to accommodate different working hours. Occasionally, the postholder may be asked to work additional hours to cover for other staff absence or specific events.
King Alfred School (KAS) is a progressive independent school in idyllic grounds in North London. Our independence means that we can be take a holistic approach to education, value the progress young people make in every area and experiment with innovative ideas.
We are looking for a Groundsperson who will work in a small, friendly caretaker team to ensure the grounds and sports facilities are safe, well maintained, and presentable. The postholder will be responsible for providing grounds maintenance support to the School’s main site, Manor Wood, and to the Sports’ Department. They will also look after the School farm and provide some general caretaking support.
The post-holder should have:
- Experience of providing grounds maintenance services in a commercial or not for profit environment
- An appropriate qualification such as the Level 2 Certificate in Sports and Amenity Turf Maintenance or other practical horticultural training
- Experience of the safe and effective use of fertilisers, herbicides, pesticides and insecticides, coupled with a sound knowledge of organic gardening methods and skills in propagation (additional training can be given)
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to receive, record and transmit messages accurately and quickly
- An understanding of health and safety issues appropriate to School grounds and Sports maintenance
- A full, clean driving licence with Cat D and Cat F
Please see the attached job description for a detailed description of the duties involved in this role, as well as a person specification of our ideal candidate.
To apply for this role please visit our website by clicking on the apply button.
Closing date: Noon, Monday 27 September 2021
All members of the King Alfred School community are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children.
Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974
All posts involving direct contact with children are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. However, amendments to the Exceptions Order 1975 (2013) provide that certain spent convictions and cautions are ‘protected’. These are not subject to disclosure to employers and cannot be taken into account. Guidance and criteria on the filtering of these cautions and convictions can be found on the Disclosure and Barring Service website or at Unlock.