Hours: 37hrs per week – 41 weeks per year(Term time + 4 weeks)
Pay: £18,482.41 (£20,258 FTE) – NJC1
Responsible to: Catering Manager
Mary Hare educates 240 profoundly deaf children at its residential school in Berkshire, and we pride ourselves on our pupils’ achievements at GCSE, A Level as well as B Tech and Vocational Courses. The Kitchen Assistant will be responsible for ensuring that all Catering areas are cleaned and maintained to a high standard. Thy are also required to assist with the service of food and beverages throughout Mary Hare School. No knowledge of sign language is required, as we follow an auditory/oral philosophy.
The kitchen is a busy operation offering a food service to over 240 students, 300 staff and visitors to the school, which includes the commercial lets business which takes place outside of term-time. The team is comprised of Chefs, and Kitchen Assistants who are responsible for delivering high quality food from scratch.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with the preparation of food as directed by the Head Chef
- Ensure effective and timely set-up and clear down of; dining room (including floors), service counters, serving food in accordance with the cleaning schedule
- Assist with ensuring the highest levels of cleanliness and hygiene are adhered to when cleaning fridges and chill cabinets etc.
- Ensure the highest possible standards of presentation by ensuring that displays, fixtures, fittings, and premises are maintained in accordance with the cleaning schedule
- Contribute towards the delivery of hospitality and events around site including the set-up, service and clear down as required
- Able to work in a customer focused environment
- Passion for working within the Catering and Hospitality industry
- Awareness of Safeguarding requirements and good practice within an education setting
- Experience with food allergies
- Food service and preparation
Skills & Personal Qualities:
- Excellent communication skills to enable effective dialogue with colleagues, staff, visitors and where applicable, students
- Able to perform well and remain professional whilst under pressure
- Dedicated team-player, who strives for excellence and leads by example
- Reliable and stable
- Well-developed problem-solving skills
- Enthusiastic, with an eagerness to learn new skills and a commitment to personal continuous development
- Adaptable and flexible with working patterns when required
- Practical and constructional
As well as an inclusive and supportive work environment, and a stunning location benefits also include:
Generous defined contribution pensions scheme, subsidised canteen, free on-site parking, 24/7 Employee Assistance Program for employee's and household members and much more…
How to Apply!
To apply, please go to: www.maryhare.org.uk/about-us/jobs
Please note that Mary Hare adheres to Safer Recruitment Standards and as such all applications must be made via the Mary Hare website and using the Mary Hare Application Form.
Applications will only be considered via a completed Application Form; CV’s cannot be accepted.
Mary Hare | Arlington Manor | Snelsmore Common | Newbury | Berkshire | RG14 3BQ
This School is committed to safeguarding children and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We will ensure that all our recruitment and selection practices reflect this commitment. All shortlisted candidates will be asked to complete a criminal records self-disclosure form and successful candidates will be subject to Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks along with other relevant employment checks. We are committed to securing genuine equality of opportunity in all aspects of our activities as an employer and education provider. The role you are applying for is ‘exempt’ from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974