About the role: Are you a caring and patient person who loves to work with children? Are you seeking a part-time opportunity that keeps your mornings and afternoons free? Milestone Academy are now accepting applications for the role of Midday Supervisor; our successful candidate will join our support team on a permanent basis, working 10 hours per week (2 hours per day) during Term Time plus 1 week of inset, when we deliver the majority of our training sessions. This is an exciting opportunity to consider joining us so please take a close look at the role details and if you feel you have the necessary attitude and experience then we would love to hear from you. Please note that the successful candidates will be based at our main location which is in New Ash Green. This role is suitable for those who genuinely have a passion for helping children, particularly with learning difficulties.
Help our students reach their full potential: Milestone Academy is a large special school for pupils with Profound, Severe and Complex needs, and is part of Leigh Academies Trust. We currently have 385 pupils on roll aged between the ages of 2 and 19. The academy comprises a main site and four satellite provisions, each of which are based within other LAT mainstream academies. Milestone Academy has been judged as Outstanding by Ofsted at our last three inspections.
What will the role involve?
- Ensure pupils enter the dining room in a safe and orderly fashion and behave appropriately when queueing for their meal in order to maintain the safety and wellbeing of all pupils.
- Ensure there are the correct number of chairs for pupils and that there are sufficient settings for the number of pupils eating that day.
- Ensure pupils eating meals are seated in an orderly fashion to maintain safety and wellbeing of the pupils. This may include checking that pupils have or are provided with a drink and that a sufficient amount of their meal has been eaten.
- Assist the pupils, as necessary, during the meal break to ensure their wellbeing, providing them with a drink, helping with spillages, cutting up food and caring for pupils’ personal needs.
- Ensure once meals are finished that the dining area is wiped down, etc., and is left in a clean and tidy manner to maintain a clean and tidy environment
- Assist pupils in walking/transitioning from their classroom and supervise school areas used by the pupils at mealtimes, to ensure safety and appropriate behaviour is observed, as applicable.
- Be prepared to support pupils with their personal care needs, cleaning their face and hands after dinner, taking to the toilet.
- Ensure pupils and staffs have access to a trained First Aider if there is an accident or injury
- Supporting with learning in the class where appropriate, to support pupils in their learning of daily living and social skills by talking to them about their lunchtime routines and what they are eating, doing, playing.
- Each and every member of staff, regardless of their position or seniority, is expected to participate in the overall running of the school and to act as a positive role model for our students. In and out of the classroom you will encourage and promote positive behaviour and effectively manage any situation that threatens to impact on the progress of other students.
What are we looking for in you? Applicants will have previous experience of working with young people, either in an academic setting or as a voluntary worker. You will be committed to personal learning and development, and have a sincere commitment to sharing our long-term aims and drive for continuous improvement. In return, we will offer you a professional and supportive team, a state of the art working environment and a genuine opportunity to develop. As a Trust we feel it is important to hire for the right attitude which is why we look for support assistants that are enthusiastic, focused and resilient to the day to day pressures that the classroom brings.
Being part of Leigh Academies Trust: As of 1st September 2020, our Trust will comprise 28 geographically organised academies (11 secondaries, 15 primaries and 2 special) educating over 16,000 students, and employing over 2,500 talented staff. We also have one further secondary academy in development phase, due to open in September 2021. The Trust is establishing four ‘clusters’ of academies: North West Kent; Central Kent; South East London; Medway. In addition, the Trust is responsible for one of the region’s biggest initial teaching training providers and a large teaching school.
As part of Leigh Academies Trust you will have ample opportunity to collaborate with your peers both within the academy and across the whole Trust. This is an important part of our vision as we know through experience that we perform better when we work together. You are supported to undertake regular self-development to continue your professional development and hopefully progress further within the organisation.
We strive to offer a range of benefits that all employees can take advantage of which we regularly review and add to.
Diversity at our core: As a Trust we are passionate about diversity and recognise that as individuals we all bring something unique to the role regardless of age, gender, race, beliefs or disabilities which is why we treat all of our people equally, without compromise.
The academy is committed to safeguarding children and successful candidates will be subject to an Enhanced DBS check. Our commitment to safeguarding is underpinned by robust processes and checks which are in place across the Trust.
Recruitment and hiring during COVID-19: Despite the challenges we face, recruitment and hiring will continue for all Leigh Academies Trust vacancies with as little disruption as possible over the coming weeks and months. This is for all senior, teaching and support staff appointments. Applications will still be reviewed and interviews conducted in a timely manner, although interview activities will vary. If you have any queries or concerns, please get in touch with the LAT Talent Team - firstname.lastname@example.org
Based on the quality and quantity of applications received, Leigh Academies Trust reserves the right to close this vacancy sooner than the specified closing date. Applicants will be notified of this where possible. Therefore, early applications are encouraged.