About the role: The Leigh UTC and Inspiration Academy have a fantastic opportunity for a committed and motivated Premises Maintenance Operative (Caretaker) to join our collaborative team as soon as possible. This full-time position will assist the wider Site Team with the care of the academy premises, ranging from general maintenance duties including minor repair and refurbishment works, porterage and other duties, supporting the Site Manager in ensuring the health and safety and security of a busy academy. We offer 25 days holiday per annum (plus bank holidays) which increases based on length of service. Applicants will need a flexible approach to working hours and duties and may be required to cover the duties of other team members in their absence, occasionally.
Applicants need to be trustworthy, reliable, hardworking, physically fit, conscientious and be able to work independently as well as part of a team. Ideally you will have good DIY skills, some knowledge of Health & Safety, basic IT skills and an understanding of safeguarding. We offer fantastic CPD opportunities as an academy and as a wider multi-academy trust so can provide support if there are any areas that you may need to be upskilled or trained.
Do you know anyone that might be interested in a Caretaker/Premises Maintenance Operative role? If so, make a referral today for the chance to receive £100 as a 'thank you'. Simply email firstname.lastname@example.org with the candidates’ name and contact details and we will be in touch with them about potential opportunities across the Trust. *Please ensure to obtain the person's consent to share their personal details.
Benefits of working as a Caretaker at a Leigh Academies Trust site;
- 25 days annual leave per annum + bank holidays, increasing to 30 days + bank holidays based on 5 years' service
- Full company closure and time off between Christmas and New Year
- You'll be part of a friendly and supportive team
- A flexible and proactive ethos
- Training and qualifications supported / encouraged
- Mileage allowance for travel between sites
- Paid overtime
- Generous pension scheme (Local Government Pension Scheme)
- Free, on-site parking at every site
- Dedicated site office
Working with us: Having opened in September 2014 with state-of-the-art facilities originally for Key Stage 4 and 5, The Leigh UTC provides an exciting, innovative, business-led, problem-solving curriculum, enabling students to achieve relevant academic and work-related qualifications and transferable skills for future destinations. The most unique feature of The Leigh UTC is its business ethos that are emphasised by our STEM rich curriculum and relationships with local and national employers.
In September 2017, following the request of the Department for Education due to our continued success, The Leigh UTC marked history by expanding its student intake to incorporate Key Stage 3 – the first UTC in England to do this. Furthermore, being the first UTC to have IB World School Status has enabled us to develop strong international links. Having IB Status has enabled us to further develop the mid-years programme (MYP) for our Key Stage 3 students and thus providing a joined-up pathway from ages 11 to 19. The overarching mission of the Inspiration Academy is to develop curious, academically-skilled young people who aspire to be principled, compassionate learners. Our curriculum strives to create students who are self-motivated, competent, willing to take risks and lifelong learners.
Our key successes and features that our successful candidate can be part of are as follows;
- The promotion of pupils’ personal development and welfare is outstanding.
- Pupils, including the disadvantaged and those who have special educational needs and/or disabilities, catch up from previous underachievement and make strong progress in a range of subjects and disciplines
- Application to learning is often exemplary.
- The Leigh UTC makes a real difference for its pupils and surrounding area. Pupils become motivated to find and follow their passions. They leave well equipped to succeed in engineering and related technical and design careers and contribute to the economy.
- The Principal, with his leaders and staff team, model a high-quality working environment. This rubs off on pupils, who value the supportive ethos, work-like atmosphere.
- Our student destinations since opening reflect the value of a UTC education, with the vast majority going into STEM careers and no NEETs
Being part of Leigh Academies Trust: As of 1st September 2022, our Trust comprises 30 geographically organised academies (14 secondaries, 14 primaries and 2 special) educating 20,000 students, and employing 3,000 talented staff. The Trust is establishing four ‘clusters’ of academies: North Kent; Central Kent; South East London; Medway. In addition, the Trust is responsible for one of the region’s biggest initial teaching training organisations, a large teaching school hub and is an accredited apprenticeship provider.
As part of Leigh Academies Trust, you will have ample opportunity to collaborate with your peers both within the academy and across the whole Trust. This is an important part of our vision as we know through experience that we perform better when we work together. You are supported to undertake regular self-development to continue your professional development and hopefully progress further within the organisation.
Our commitment to safeguarding: Leigh Academies Trust and all of our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of our pupils, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We adopt a fair, robust and consistent recruitment process across all academies and business units which is inline with Keeping Children Safe in Education guidance. This includes online checks for shortlisted candidates - you can read more about this in our Recruitment Guidance. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, references, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check.
Our commitment to equality and diversity: As a Trust, we are passionate about diversity and recognise that as individuals, we all bring something unique to the role regardless of any protected characteristics which is why we treat all of our people equally, without compromise. We are committed to providing equality and fairness throughout our recruitment and employment practices and not discriminating on any grounds.